This tutorial is a step-by-step instruction on how to generate an APN Certificate (.CER) file on Apple provisioning portal in order to enable Push Notifications.
You don't need a Mac to do this. A computer with any of our supported browsers will work.
How to generate an APN Certificate
1) Login using your dev account credentials on http://developer.apple.com/iphone.
2) On the right side menu click on "Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles" section.
3) Pick the "Identifiers" section (or follow direct link https://developer.apple.com/account/ios/overview.action), and you'll be redirected to the App ID's section.
4) In this step you'll need to pick the "App Id" that you created before. If you have not yet created it, please read this tutorial and follow the steps 7 to 10.
5) Select your App ID and click on the Edit button.
6) Enable the Push Notifications checkbox
7) <<< DOWNLOAD apnrequest.csr >>> certificate request file and save it on your computer.
8) Click on the "Create certificate" button for Production Push SSL Certificate and in the next step just click the "Continue" button.
9) Choose the .CSR file you've just downloaded in step 8.
**Please note: Using our .csr file is Required. If you use your own .csr for Push Notifications this option won't work in your iOS app.
Click on the "Generate" button.
10) Click on the "Download" button to download your certificate
Save aps_production.cer on your computer.
11) Click the "Done" button.
If everything was done right, you should have a file named aps_production.cer saved on your computer. Please remember its location. You need to upload it on Push Notifications page from Dashboard of your application.
12) * APN Certificate needs to be renewed once a year. Contrary, Push Notification option won't work. To renew the certificate you need to go to Identifiers section and in App ID find the application by its name or ID you have previously set.
13) You can find out that the PN is expired if it has Configurable status. Press Edit button to renew the APN certificate for your application.
14) To renew the certificate follow the Steps from 7 to 11.
15) It is really important to renew the Provisioning Profile for your application because now it has Invalid status. For that go to Provisioning Profiles in All field.
1) Find the application by its name and press Edit.
2) Generate a new Provisioning Profile and download it.
With updated certificates you can request a new submission for your application.